Timboon Village

Timboon is a typical rural centre located in a rich dairy area where the production of milk, cheese and butter is still central to the local economy. It is known in the area for Timboon Fine Ice Cream and Timboon Farmhouse Cheese.  The other major industries in the area are timber cutting and lime production and in recent times the boutique whisky at Timboon Railway Shed Distillery has attracted travellers.

Timboon is located 216 km south-west of Melbourne via the M1 and Princes Highway, 299 km via the Great Ocean Road and 17 km north of Port Campbell.

It is believed that the Timboon’s name comes from the local Aboriginal word ‘timboun’ which was a word used to describe pieces of rock used to open mussels.

Things to See and Do

Timboon Fine Ice Cream

Timboon Fine Ice Cream was established in October 1999 by Tim Marwood and Caroline Simmons. Being a 3rd generation dairy farmer, Tim has a real connection to the land. His grandfather was a progressive farmer developing early irrigation practices in the 1940s and his dad was one of the first farmers in the district to milk ‘a cow to the acre’ in the 1970s. Adding value to their family dairy operation was the key motivational factor in exploring and developing the brand that has become Timboon Fine Ice Cream.

For the last 18 years Tim and Caroline have been making their famous ice cream on their property 7km from Timboon. Fresh milk comes from The Doolan’s family farm down the road and fresh cream from Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory.

The ice cream has an unmistakeable creamy smoothness. With all ice cream ‘fresh is best’ and using the local fresh milk and cream makes a beautiful premium boutique ice cream. The Timboon Fine Ice Cream is only 2 km from The Timboon Villa.

Timboon Outdoor Swimming Pool

Timboon Outdoor Swimming Pool is one of the six outdoor swimming pools operated by Corangamite Shire. Whether it’s a dip to cool off, a splash for fun, learning to swim or lap swimming, users will not be disappointed with the range of activities and programs at the pool. The the pool is solar heated and generally operates between 25º to 28º. Water features have been installed in the toddler pool, providing a safe place to bring your children to cool off on a hot day. Qualified lifeguards are on deck of the swimming pools. Operating hours are Monday to Friday-3:00 PM – 7:00 PM, Saturday & Sunday – 10:30 AM – 6:30 PM. Please contact the management for more information. The Timboon Outdoor Swimming pool is only 1.5 km from The Timboon Villa.

Day Admissions
2 adults & children 18 & under 
L’Artisan Organic Cheese

Formerly known as Timboon Farmhouse Cheeses (it was taken over by a larger company and then a new management team moved in with Matthieu Megard as the cheese maker) this cheese shop and the amusingly named Mouse Trap Cafe have acquired a reputation for their outstanding soft cheeses (they are stocked by prestigious providores in Sydney and Melbourne) notably their camembert and brie. Check out for more details of The Mountain Man, The Extravagant, The Authentic, The Fermier and Fromage Blanc. They are open for sales and tastings from 10.00 am – 4.00 pm each day. Cheese platters and wine as well as light lunches, home made scones, coffee and glorious milkshakes made from local milk and local ice cream, are served in a charming garden setting. For further information contact (03) 5598 3322. They are located at the corner of Ford and Fells Road, Timboon. L’Artisan Organic Cheese is only 5 km from The Timboon Villa.

Timboon Railway Shed Distillery

There is, according to their website, a long tradition of making whisky (most of it illegal) in the Timboon area. The Railway Shed Distillery is not only proud of its boutique whisky distillery and its liqueurs (Vanilla Vodka, Apple Liqueur, Strawberry Schnapps, Coffee Cream et al)  but it is also the home of an excellent restaurant and is the starting point for the Camperdown-Timboon Rail Trail. Check out their excellent website http://timboondistillery.com.au/ which has a fine photograph of the Trestle Railway Bridge. The Timboon Railway Shed Distillery is only 2 km from The Timboon Villa.

The Timboon Golf Club

The Timboon Golf course is a full 18 hole course (actually 14 + 4) and is surrounded by mature native bushland. The course has a number of lakes (actually 2 dams) and is undulating in parts. While playing you may see koalas, ducks, the occasional echidna, rabbits and a variety of native birds.

The men’s course length is 5,618 metres and the ladies’ 5,060 metres, making it one of the longest in South West Victoria. The Course Rating is 70 and the Slope Rating is 128.

Access to the course is excellent. The Timboon Golf Course is only 4 km from The Timboon Villa.

Camperdown-Timboon Rail Trail

The delightful rail trail, which was established in 1994 and opened in 2009, starts from Timboon Railway Station and continues through to Camperdown. It is 34 km long and has, as a bonus, the ability to cycle across the trestle bridge at Curdies River.

The railway was originally built to serve the farmers and timber cutters in the Heytesbury Forest. It was a major feat of engineering with 34 bridges and 84 culverts. The most important bridge was the Curdies River Trestle Railway Bridge which was restored in 2010. On the trail you can see blackwoods, woolly tea trees, messmates, tree ferns and cherry ballart and the local fauna includes koalas, kangaroos, sugar glider possums and the habitat for the Powerful Owl. The Timboon Bike Hire is only 2 km from The Timboon Villa.

Trestle Railway Bridge or Curdies River Bridge

Located near the Val Lime Kilns to the west of town (it can be accessed by heading out of town on the Terang-Warrnambool Road, turning right just after the Shell Service Station and following the signs for 5 km) is the Heritage listed trestle bridge, which crosses Curdies River. Built in 1892 it was closed in May 1987 but when the Rail Track was established in 2009 it was restored and reopened. It has been opened since November, 2010. The Heritage of Australia explains “It was constructed of 20 trestles of large diameter bush timber poles bolted together with sawn timber superstructure and footway in traditional and utilitarian bridge and wharf building technique. The bridge is one of the few surviving railway structures of this type in Victoria and illustrates vernacular bridge building traditions of the late 19th century.” The Curdies River Bridge is only 8 km from The Timboon Villa.

Timboon Flora and Fauna Reserve

The Timboon Flora and Fauna Reserve is located to the east of the Port Campbell Road with access off the Cooriemungle Road. It is a particularly beautiful tract of bush with walking tracks through this small section of undisturbed bushland.

History of Timboon

Prior to the arrival of Europeans the area was inhabited by people from the Girawurung Aboriginal language group. It is believed that the Timboon’s name comes from the local Aboriginal word ‘timboun’ which was a word used to describe pieces of rock used to open mussels.

The first white man in the area was Daniel Curdie. In 1845 he followed the river that bears his name to its mouth at Peterborough. The river flowed through thick forest at the time. The first settlers to move into the area were the Callaways. They were English immigrants who selected land in the Heytesbury Forest in 1875. They had to clear the forest to the west and north of the present township. A small settlement on the banks of the Curdies River that never developed called Curdies River was the original destination for a proposed railway. 

A more suitable site was chosen in 1877 on the banks of Powers Creek was known as “New Timboon”. “Old Timboon” was the site of the original Camperdown township. The town began to grow as new settlers were attracted to the area. The first school opened in 1883. By 1889 the township of “New Timboon” offered land for sale confident of the coming of the railway to the area. The town had a general store, butcher and blacksmiths by 1891. In 1892 the railway arrived, the Timboon branch line that construction had started in 1889 at Camperdown.

The first major produce of the area was timber, the train would carry the timber out and return with all the provision a township would require. As the country opened up dairy farming became popular, the production of milk, cheese and butter are still central to the local economy. There are still substantial quarrying and lime production.

The Timboon railway line that opened in 1892 was closed in 1986.[2] The railway line featured several trestle bridges including the now restored Timboon Trestle bridge. The Timboon to Camperdown rail trail now follows the old route taken by the railway. The local railway station that closed along with the railway and the building is now home to a distillery. The Post Office in the township opened on 7 March 1887. Two earlier offices named Timboon were opened near Camperdown, the first one operated from 1849 to 1852 , the second after the town relocated, opening in 1853, was renamed Camperdown in 1854.[3]

The Heytesbury Forest east of Timboon underwent clearing for additional dairy farms during 1928-33, and later from 1956 to 1975 the Heytesbury Settlement Scheme released 43,000 ha on which 378 farms were established. The Cobden butter and cheese factory opened a branch at Timboon in 1950. A hospital was opened in 1955. and a high school in 1960.

Visitor Information

There is no Visitor Information in Timboon. The closest are Twelve Apostles Visitor Information Centre, 26 Morris St, Port Campbell, tel: 1300 137 255 and the Campbelltown Visitor Information Centre, 179 Manifold Street, Camperdown, tel: (03) 5593 3144.